Thursday, January 3, 2013

First And (Hopefully) Only Hospital Stay



Like I said in our family blog about Christmas 2012, none of us were feeling too hot. Easton had been sick starting Thursday nightish into Friday morning. Cough, congestion, not eating well, vomiting, fever, lethargic, etc. Poor kid! I was taking care of him the best I could while working, getting ready for Christmas and then getting sick myself. Thankfully, I have an amazing husband who is pretty smart. Tuesday and Wednesday night I has slept downstairs in our recliner so that I could kind of breathe and get a little sleep. Apparently, East slept okay Tuesday night, but Wednesday night he didn't do so hot. Bad enough that when I was able to drag myself upstairs Thursday morning the first thing that Eric said was that we needed to get Easton to the doctor. So I called and made an appointment. The earliest they could see him was 11am so we got ready and headed to Orem.

Yeah, Easton's pediatrician is in Orem. He started in Provo. Moved to SF/Payson and now is back up in Orem. I would find someone else, but he knows Easton so well and he knows me and I trust him so I HATE the thought of starting over with a new doctor. Thus, we drive to Orem to go to the doctor. I didn't trust myself to describe what had been going on with Easton over the last week so I asked my sister to watch the other kids so that Eric could be at the appointment with East and I. Good thing too, because he pretty much decided to send Easton to the hospital after just a quick glance. I probably would have just started crying had I been alone, but luckily I had my rock ERIC there to help me think things out.

We headed over to the Peds floor at UVRMC, where the started and IV, drew some blood, and sucked out some boogers for testing. Poor baby boy was so tired he didn't even put up much of a fight. They started an IV fluid bolus and then tapered them off after and hour or so. He also got a dose of antibiotics because he had a double ear infection. His temp spiked after a couple of hours and his oxygen dropped and he started breathing fast so the suctioned him out, gave him some ibuprofen and started him on some oxygen. Eric left eventually and got the other kids and took them home, while Easton and I settled in for a long night. He slept better than he had in a long time besides the nurses checking on him all the time and by the time he woke up in the morning he was a whole other kid. He was alert and talking and moving and SMILING and eating. It was so nice to see. We did fluids for a few more hours. His booger test came back positive for RSV and Influenza B so we made sure he did okay off the oxygen and by 5pm we were ready to go home. He has been a superstar since he has been home. You can tell each day he is feeling better and better. He is almost completely back to his old self. So GLAD!!!

1 comment:

Sara :-) said...

Glad it was only one night! Is he back to his normal happy self yet? How about you???